Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Thursday, July 13, 2006

South Africa report # 15


Sometimes things happen that are worthy of sit-com. This story is almost too funny to be true.But first let me apologise fo my spelling, this computer did not have a spell check.I am known in this area as a foreigner who likes to learn and participate in cultural traditions and ceremonies.One day I was invited to go to visit a village not far from the one I am staying at.There I met this man and we were sitting in his hut and tolking about the local traditions and life. Eating traditional African food - microwaived Pica. But let me tell you about this initiation ceremony which I did not know about when I was tolking to this man.At the age of 14-17 young men are led to the forest (they call it bushes) and there they are being tested, phisicly abused and humiliated to make them stronger and at the end of this they get sircumsised right there in the bushes. One of the 5 men usualy dies of infection and never comes back. But house who do are considered to be a men. Local people call this "going into the bushes". I did not know about this ceremnoy at the time when I was talking to this African man. So we are sitting at his house and he is telling me about the Africa I am telling him about the things I experienced so far.Then he askes me, "Have you been in the bushes?"I am thinking that he is refering to some kind of walk in the forest so I say, "Oh yes, several times!"Man looks at me funny and says, "Oh I know, my son wasn't able to do it with the first time either, only with his second time he managed to do it."Now I am thinking what so dificult about the walk in the bushes."I loved it," I say to that man, "In fact I am planing to go there again in a week or so!"Now the man is confused. He is thinking about going into the bushes and be sircumsised. How can this white guy like it?"When did you go into the bushes?" he asks me."A couple of days ago," I said to him."Are you in pain?" he asks me again."A little bit sore, but other than that I am ok," I am referingto my blisters.Now the man looks at me like I am not saying the truth.At this point the friend of mine who took me to this man is laughing so hard I was getting woried about his life.He said something in local language and the old man started to laugh as well.Only on our way home he explained to me what was going on.I was thinking but what if in stead of asking if I have been there he would ofer me to go into the bushes and I would say yes becasue of my ignorance.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~m said...

bwahahahahaha!!!!

i miss you.

9:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the "going into the bushes" story doesn't stop you from going to the church where you have to cross Fish Creek park!

We can't wait till we see you on July 18.

Love,
CM and CD

4:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home