Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Saturday, May 20, 2006

South Africa report # 10


I am not picky about the food, am I? I am willing to try new things and usually at least I will say that I liked it. For example when I came to Canada my friends from college took me to the food court and made me try Greek food. I tried lamb and said it was ok. I had no intentions to eat it again, it was just Ok.
Now I came to South Africa and the very fist meal that is served is LAMB. Which is ok I can finish it. But to my terror very soon I realized that pretending that you liked something can have very sad consequences. Cook lady said, “oh usually foreigners do not like lamb! You will feel here at home we eat lamb a lot.” And they do. At least 2 a week they give me the biggest piece of lamb, I had no idea the sheep can grow so big. When they cook other meat they add some lamb to it just for the flavor. Now I eat chicken that tastes like lamb, pork that tastes like lamb fish that tastes like lamb and even porridge that tastes like lamb. Sometimes I come from work and I can smell it for blocks away that something is gone taste lake lamb today (in African village there are no such things as blocks but you know what I mean, don’t you). Last night we went to town for diner. You will not believe how glad a person can be to see KFC sign on horizon.

P.S. When the cook saw me taking picture of the lamb package she smiled, I have a bad feeling about that smile.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of the wool that sheep grow for us. Now if we could just get the sheep farmers on our side ..... when you get back to Canada, we will continue our tradition in this house not to eat cats, dogs, snakes, elephant, lizards, mice, rats and LAMB!
CD

9:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home