Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

South African report # 12


I came back from Cape Town another day. It is quite a city! Right now in South Africa they have a power crisis. There is not enough electricity for everyone (sorry for my oversimplification). Couple moth ago there was black out and City was dark for couple of days. Couple infants died in the hospital and such. No government is busy deciding where to get extra electricity for growing city. But meanwhile they started the program called “cape power alert”. Every 15 minutes on TV and radio report comes on power problem. If the usage of electricity is rising they are asking people to turn unnecessary appliances of. And people do. Letter they say it is say to turn things back and people do. (I wonder if somebody turns the TV of as unnecessary thing how he will know when it is Ok to turn things back on.) Another thing that they do is they encourage people to use gas stoves over electrical once. People bought a lot of them but now turn out that there is no gas in the country and people do not know what to do with their gas stoves. So government has another problem to deal with – more unhappy people.
I experienced two of these black out. I had fun, but I guess there are more responsible people in Africa than I.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that would be an interesting thing to experience for sure! I've not been in a black out in quite some time. Suppose there's other things to do that dont' require electricity eh? Have a wind up flash light with you? :) Many prayers your way my friend!
Leah

1:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea what those wildly painted totem poles are in your picture ... I think they are ancient wind chimneys (really!). Because of their shape, they create a "draft". Or they could be giant office water coolers...what do you think! Would I give you a bum steer?
CD

5:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey my foreign friend,

It was good to hear that you are alive and well and enjoying yourself in Africa. I just wanted to say hello and remind you that you still have your ukrainian friend and that when you are in town we should get together and have some pelmeni and watch a russian movie or something. Anyway, keep in touch
Vlad

1:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you!

Sorry for the lack of writing. My bad. :( Carter and Mr. W keeps me updated with everything. I really can't wait to see you again! Take care my adventurous friend!

Much Canadian love you way.

Jules

3:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home