Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Monday, May 29, 2006

South Africa report # 11

South Africa has large shortage in living space. People can not afford to build or by homes. So Government builds these subsidized villages (see pictures). One house has one room little kitchen and bathroom. Looks just like little box. Imagine what it looks like when there are whole bunch of them together. It is cheap and it takes just a month to build village for almost 1000 families to live in. They look so sad, but I guess it is better then living in the paper box. People get these houses very cheep and then they start to expand on them in couple years they would build another bedroom and then another and another one. It looks even worse, but people must live somewhere. My mind says it is good that government is taking care of its people. But when I visit one of those villages, I feel something is wrong. Of cause only color people live in them. Places are falling apart, dirty, cheep, and people are so desperate. It reminds me of some kind of ghetto. Far from the “civilized” people and somehow dehumanizing. No wanders that hardly anyone of them goes to college and gets decent job. I can not tell why but somehow it does not seem right.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I notice they have fences and electricity. I wonder if they have a water and sewer system??? God gives them rain as everything is green.
CD

9:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it quite funny how naive some people who have commented on ur blog are as to "Africa". As a South African, there is nothing more annoying than the obvious question, "do you have lions in your backyard" *sigh* ;)
South Africa is an amazing place, with potential, and flaws.
But it rocks!
I think your blog is interesting and well written! Keep it up!

10:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home