Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Friday, July 14, 2006

Sout Africa report # 16


In 2 days I will be leaving South Africa. There is a saying that they kept repeating to me since the day I came. “When you will leave Africa your heart will remain here.”
It appears that this saying is true.
There will be many things I will miss from South Africa – People, culture, and nature. But let me tell you about the one thing that will be in my heart forever as long as I will think of this place. It is African sunrise.
Imagine early morning and as far as your eyes can see the horizon is stretching in front of you. All sky and ground and trees are coloured in all the shades of red. All nature seems to become suddenly quiet; noises of the night disappear in this sea of red. Animals and trees in total silence are anticipating this miracle of the new day. When you begin to think that it cannot become more red new shades of red paint heavens in the new thickness of scarlet. And then suddenly it appears. The disk of sun as big as horizon, bright yet gentle to your eyes, majestic and gigantic in its redness comes to bring a new beginning for all who are waiting for it while holding their breath. Now I understand why Egyptians worship this star and pharaoh started his day with the ritual of worship. When you look at African sun so powerful and glorious it is possible to confuse creation with its creator.
As soon as sun steps over the horizon heat waves start to elevate from the ground. Another moment and trees, antelopes and even flies will start the run of a new day. But this one moment just before the nature comes to life is the spirit of Africa and that is what I want to remember about this place.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great trip the Lord has provided for you! See you soon!
CD

9:00 AM

 
Blogger ~m said...

i love your writing.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Kim said...

As I was reading your description of the sunrise, I thought to myself how wonderful a wordsmith you are...it was poetic.

1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skaisti. Vienreizeeji. Uz driizu atgrieshanos citos krastos.
Daciks

8:23 PM

 
Blogger Neely said...

For some reason, I thought you would be away for the whole summer. But since you're coming back sooner, have a safe return!

9:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

11:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home