Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Canada report # 23



I was walking from train station, it was cold, windy and it was snowing (yucky would be a good word). In the midst of all of that there was a man shoveling snow. He was wearing shorts, which I found weird, but whatever, I was on my way to Tim Horton’s to read a book. An hour latter I went for my buss stop and here he was still shoveling snow. By now he must have shoveled almost a kilometer of sidewalks. I was impressed. He was coming closer and closer to my buss stop; all people were watching him work. Eventually he was working around our buss stop. One lady said to this man in shorts, “In days like that it must be hard to like your job?” He stopped just for a second, “it is not my job I am doing it as a service to Jesus. He said let you light shine and this is my way of doing it.” Only then I noticed that he had a big, red cross on his jacket. He said couple other words and went back to his business like it was the most natural thing to do. My buss came in ten minutes; when I was leaving I still saw him shoveling snow, in shorts and with the cross on his jacket.
Some how a volunteer shoveling public side walks is not a popular picture of Christian. Is it because this man was not accurate picture of what Jesus intended His people to be? Is it because we are not what we are supposed to be anymore? I don’t know.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does really make you think, doesn't it? I was reading the book of Ruth on the train yesterday and the lady next to me asked if I was reading it for fun or what... Found out she's from the Chinese Evangelical Free Church! So nice when you meet other children of God! Thanks for sharing that!

11:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does really make you think, doesn't it? I was reading the book of Ruth on the train yesterday and the lady next to me asked if I was reading it for fun or what... Found out she's from the Chinese Evangelical Free Church! So nice when you meet other children of God! Thanks for sharing that!
Leah

11:27 AM

 
Blogger ~m said...

it's ok, deniss . . . they don't have to know we're Christians by our love! they know by the fact that we do communion and baptism, right? ;)

1:57 PM

 
Blogger Foreign_guy said...

Hey ~m if that would be true then you S. Army people would hardly qualify.

6:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that acts of service like that are more for the spiritual benefit of the servant rather than the people who don't even know that they are being served. Think of how that man's character (and physical strength) grew stronger for every sidewalk block that he uncovered.

4:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home