Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Canada report # 18


Today I had very North American experience. At work we have a Polish janitor. He speaks practically no English at all. Usually he just walks by and says hi. But today for some reason we started to talk. It was like playing charades. He decided to tell me how he escaped Soviet Union. He used sounds, mimics, body language and other creative means to tell his stories. He played out something like little sketches for me. He told me all the times he crossed border and how he managed to do that. He would involve me too. Some times I would play the part of police officer, sometimes I would play part of ambassador of Canada in Poland. It was a lot of fun. Only for some reason he would not believe me when I said (or tried to say) that I understand, so every story we had to act out at least 3 times. By the end I was yelling, “Yes I understand, just move on already!” I was amazed how much we could communicate; I think that this is his normal language. He lived in Canada for 14 years and still hasn’t learned English. I think he had a choice to learn English or to became very good at charades, it seems that he chose the charades. I wonder how did people explain him his Job Description or how did he got this job to beguine with.
Canada truly the country of great opportunities.
P.S.
By the way I will give you a dollar if you will guess who this guy below is (tell me the show he is in)!!!


3 Comments:

Blogger ~m said...

it looks like someone from godspell . . . maybe the prodigal son? or jesus?

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

I thought it was Godspell at first, but Victor Garber played it in the old movie and he had a blond fro
Or, maybe it's that guy who smashes watermelons with a sledgehammer?

3:47 PM

 
Blogger Foreign_guy said...

His name is RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON from Stargats (SG-1)
http://www.stargate-autographs.com/sga-imagepage-rda.html

11:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home