Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Canada report # 11

This morning on the bus I noticed an advertisement that was very though provoking. It was one of those dating agencies. It said some thing like, “Meet someone your friends haven’t dated.” It almost seems that in North America (and it could be in western culture in general) people are dating not for the reason to find The One companion of life.
On one TV show dad said to his son, “She is ok for the starter girlfriend.” It seems to me that Canadians are afraid of commitment or could it have something to do with desire to receive in stead of giving? “As long as she gives me what I need we will be together” – kind of thinking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

:)

Dating has to be about giving, focused on that. Certainly Jane Austen's books teach that. THe best relationships are those in which people are trying to pursue what is best for their friend / boyfriend / girlfriend.

I've noticed your observation about North American's too. It's too bad. :(

~Kev

12:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home