Here I am, lost in a new country . . .

Monday, October 24, 2005

Canada report # 1

Canadians – nation of many faces, habits and attitudes, some of them nice and sweet but some just hard to understand. Today, for example, I came to college with tie. Most of Canadians noticed (which is not a bad thing), however many ask for occasion, some even laugh. Why does one needs to have an occasion to wear a tie? I do not think that they have noticed how casual they have become. It is not a bad thing to be able to be casual, but is it good if proper closing becomes inappropriate? I was raised with a knowledge that one day every mature adult man will have to wear a tie and weather I liked to do that or not sooner or later I will have to accept it. It is ok in Canada to for guys to come to college in pink pans, and pyjama, but if one shows up wearing tie, people do not understand it. Is it wrong to like to dress up, even if I do not have an occasion? Friends, next time I will decide to wear a tie, please ignore it, and by doing that you will help me feeling more at home.

4 Comments:

Blogger Neely said...

I wasn't at school yesterday but I think we do take our informalness to an extreme at times and it's good that someone can point this out. I remember when my youth used to wear pajama pants to church and it was something that took me by surprise!

11:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i`m so sorry my little friend...:)

11:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job, a foregnguy:)).
I agree that Canadian culture is more informal than our Latvian culture is. Students do dress up more when they "out of home".

I have noticed however a change in the way people dress here. it seems that more people are likely do wear dressy clothes, even students! I like that. But I also like the relaxed attitude towards clothing.

Have fun

6:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the sme way when I dress up for school...just because I like to do it sometimes. I always get asked "where are you going" like I couldn't possably wear something other than jeans to school. It may also have to do with people being young and liking being casual. I was like that when I was young too, would not be caught dead in skirt...now I like it.

9:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home